JetBrains, creators of intelligent, productivity-enhancing software development tools, today announced the general availability of TeamCity 8, the new major version of the most intelligent Continuous Integration server. This major update is focused on providing development teams better insight into their CI process, thanks to an enhanced projects structure and many other features designed to simplify TeamCity server maintenance.
First of all, TeamCity 8.0 allows grouping of projects in a hierarchy, better reflecting the complexity of real-life projects and helping you reuse settings. The new version also comes equipped with a number of reports designed to detect any issues in the server configuration. Finally, teams can now drastically reduce server maintenance time thanks to much faster (up to 5 times) build history cleanup.
"We are always listening to our customers and trying to get a feel for the challenges they experience with their build management and CI processes. That’s why we’re excited about rolling out new features like Projects Hierarchy, Server Health reports, and Meta-runner, which should be a real help to many development teams right away," said Pavel Sher, TeamCity Project Manager. "On top of resolving the most pressing issues, we did lay a good foundation for further enhancements and other interesting things that we have in mind for subsequent versions of TeamCity."
Other key changes in TeamCity 8 include:
* Meta-Runner: A new way to reuse build steps among configurations and represent them as a native TeamCity runner
* Improved build problems reporting: Detect new problems, assign an investigation, or mute a build problem
* Feature branches building based on Mercurial bookmarks and Git tags
* TeamCity is able to detect and show changes made in Mercurial sub-repositories
* The native IntelliJ IDEA compiler is now bundled with TeamCity 8. This means that for IntelliJ IDEA projects you get much faster incremental compilation as well as support for Scala, Groovy, Closure, Kotlin, Android, GWT and many other technologies supported by IntelliJ IDEA.
Customers using TeamCity Professional Server will also be delighted to learn that their favorite build management system has become more affordable. Since v8.0, each additional Build Agent License added to TeamCity Professional Server enables 10 more build configurations.